Director, Government Relations
DCLRS, a full-service business strategy and government relations firm that focuses on
agriculture, energy, immigration and transportation issues, is in search of a Director,
Government Relations. The Director, Government Relations is responsible for supporting
advocacy efforts on behalf of several of our clients and over time will grow into leading those
efforts. The role will develop important external relationships with state or federal
government officials as well as key industry stakeholders and will represent and advocate for
our client’s interests to other external audiences such as industry associations, coalitions, and
other state or federal-based policy organizations. This position will work with other
Government Affairs staff to identify new and emerging issues and develop advocacy
materials and strategy.
- Develop and lead the implementation of strategy, relationship development, public policy engagement and overall business advancement initiatives with key federal policy makers.
- Write and edit original issues overview papers, summaries and compelling statements for action.
- Identify state or federal legislative, executive branch and regulatory proposals and policies impacting our clients.
- Monitor progress of legislative and regulatory issues of interest to our clients.
- Develop and implement appropriate strategies and tactics to achieve the desired outcomes through a combination of direct lobbying and legislative coalition building.
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with high level federal legislators, regulators, and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public administration, agriculture or related area of study.
- 3-5 years of related work experience, including experience working with legislators and regulators at the state and/or federal level.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without need for work visa or residency sponsorship.
- Deep understanding of the political process with the ability to persuade and influence internal/external stakeholders with multiple and diverse interests.
- Understanding of or expertise in agricultural, energy, immigration, trade, or transportation policy preferred
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to become established as a trusted advisor to senior leadership on agricultural, energy, immigration, trade, or transportation.
- Superior written, analytical and oral communication skills.
- Master’s Degree in public policy, political management, agriculture or related study.
- Capitol Hill or federal agency experience.
- 5-plus years experience in agriculture policy or advocacy.
Minimum Physical Job Requirements
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time.
- Constantly required to sit, use hands to handle or feel, talk, and hear.
- Frequently required to reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to stand, walk, and stoop, kneel, and crouch.
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Commensurate with experience, starting range $75-100,000 annually, plus benefits.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume and a writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.